Skip to content

Canada's Business and Tech Newsroom

  • Professional Subscription
  • Partnerships & Advertising
  • Licensing & Syndication
Log In Subscribe
Welcome,
  • My Account
  • Log Out
  • Business
  • Tech
  • National
  • The Big Read
  • Briefings
  • Commentary
Search
Log In Subscribe
Welcome,
  • My Account
  • Log Out
News

Twitter sued by two ex-employees in Ontario

OTTAWA — Two former Twitter employees in Ontario are suing the social media company, alleging they were mistreated in the mass job cuts that new owner Elon Musk executed upon taking control of the company. 

News

Twitter sued by two ex-employees in Ontario

Engineer and advertising staffer claim damages for wrongful dismissal

By David Reevely
A pedestrian looks toward a sign at Twitter headquarters in San Francisco in November 2022. Photo: AP Photo/Jeff Chiu
Jan 26, 2023
A A
A Small A Medium A Large
Share

Gift

Share

OTTAWA — Two former Twitter employees in Ontario are suing the social media company, alleging they were mistreated in the mass job cuts that new owner Elon Musk executed upon taking control of the company. 

The two cases were filed separately, but both claim damages for wrongful dismissal, saying the workers were entitled to more notice, or compensation for the lack of it.

Twitter has not yet filed statements of defence in either case, and the company did not answer an inquiry from The Logic about whether it intends to.

Talking Points

  • Twitter is facing multiple lawsuits over the way it cut thousands of employees after Elon Musk took the social media company over in October
  • Two former Twitter employees in Ontario, a software engineer and a client account manager, have filed separate wrongful-dismissal claims this month

According to his lawsuit, 31-year-old Hirokazu Tei was a senior software engineer who joined Twitter in July 2021 and was the technical lead for two teams, overseeing five other people.

His LinkedIn profile says he worked on content-moderation infrastructure in Twitter Communities, the company’s answer to Facebook Groups. He “planned and implemented the reporting, reviewing and remediation pipeline for the new Communities feature, de-risking legal infringement and reducing user exposure to violative content.”

The claim says Tei made a base salary of just over $182,000, plus annual bonuses, benefits and stock incentives that brought the total value of his yearly compensation to “no less than $399,258.01.”

Related Articles

Musk’s cuts to Twitter Canada silence it at a critical time

By David Reevely

B.C. billionaire Frank Giustra settles defamation suit against Twitter

By Aleksandra Sagan

Tei’s claim says trouble for him started almost immediately after Musk took over: Four days after the transaction closed, Tei’s statement alleges, his regular paycheque was short $700.

A Markham resident, Tei worked remotely, the claim says. On Nov. 4, the day the first mass layoffs struck, Tei was cut off from Twitter’s systems. The filing says he then got conflicting information from the company, first telling him that “although his employment had been suspended, he had not been terminated,” and then later that he would be terminated, but not until Jan. 9.

The cuts at Twitter have been notoriously chaotic.

“Despite the defendants’ notice of termination purporting to provide Hirokazu with working notice … the defendants denied Hirokazu access to their systems and Hirokazu could no longer perform his job responsibilities,” the filing says. 

Laid off in the teeth of a downturn, it says, Tei struggled to find new work, and wasn’t helped by Twitter’s refusal to give him a positive reference, or the conflicting information at first about whether he was even out of a job. Twitter’s eventual notice that he would indeed be fired as of Jan. 9 but would stay employed until then was a problem, the suit says, because his “terms of employment with the defendants prevented him from competing against the defendants’ business while he was employed by the defendants.”

Tei’s claim, filed Jan. 13—four days after his termination took effect—says that, given his seniority and the complications of his dismissal, he’s entitled to a year’s worth of compensation from Twitter. The claim’s breach-of-contract component, which includes wrongful dismissal, is worth $400,000, it says, plus unspecified amounts for lost benefits, bonuses and other odds and ends.

“I have only been at Twitter for 1.5 years,” Tei wrote in a public post about his layoff. “I did not build Twitter. From the bottom of my heart, I did want to express how much I appreciate the people who have helped to build this product. What you built has touched the lives of hundreds of millions, including me. I wanted to thank you, and I wanted to mourn with you that something that was so good, could fall apart.”

In an email, Tei’s lawyer declined to talk about the case.

The claim in the other lawsuit, which was filed earlier this week, is less detailed. Zuhair Sirel of Mississauga said he started working for Twitter just last April, as a client account manager, and was simply terminated Nov. 14.

Sirel’s LinkedIn profile says he worked on Twitter’s behalf with Canadian auto-sector and packaged-goods companies “to develop creative advertising and measurement programs.” In his own farewell-to-Twitter posting, he wrote that he worked with “the most talented and caring team that I have ever been a part of.”

Gift the full article

His claim says his dismissal without cause entitled him to a payment equal to six months of his pay and other compensation, totalling at least $98,777.

Twitter is also being sued by ex-employees in the United States, and by landlords in San Francisco and London.

#Elon Musk #labour #Ontario #social media #Twitter

Sponsored Content

The real-world economic offshoots of sovereign AI

By Deborah Aarts
Illustration of a plane flying above a mailbox

Increasing healthcare access across Canada

By Deborah Aarts

What it takes to lead a frontier firm

By Deborah Aarts
Paid promotional content

Loading...

Thanks for sharing!

You have shared 5 articles this month and reached the maximum amount of shares available.

Close
This account has reached its share limit.

If you would like to purchase a sharing license please contact The Logic support at [email protected].

Close
Want to share this article?

Upgrade to all-access now

Close
Gift the full article!

You have gifted 0 article(s) this month and have 5 remaining.

Copy link and gift
Copy Link
Email to a friend
Send Email
Gift on Social Media

Recipients will be able to read the full text of the article after submitting their email address. They will not have access to other articles or subscriber benefits.

Photo: AP Photo/Jeff Chiu

Most Popular This Week

An image of a man in a dark suit and purple tie standing and speaking at a microphone. The man has a serious facial expression. A blue banner that reads "Milken Institute" is in the background.
News

Investor demand is what’s bringing the Milken Institute to Canada

By Chaimae Chouiekh
Janice Charette and Dominic LeBlanc walking toward the camera next to a white pavilion that bears the logo of the 2026 G7 meeting in France.
News

Canada ‘can’t even talk about anything else’ if Trump makes good on latest tariff threat

By Joanna Smith
A man walks across a large greenhouse with large glass ceilings. He is walking on a white path through rows of green lettuce growing on the ground.
News

Canadian businesses were bracing for a wave of retirees. Then along came AI

By Anita Balakrishnan
An image of a man wearing a dark suit jacket and tie. He is wearing a mic and looking slightly away from the camera.
News

Brookfield and Cohere execs among high-profile guests at CVCA summit

By Catherine McIntyre

In-depth, agenda-setting reporting

Great journalism delivered straight to your inbox.

A head-on shot of Mark Carney at a lectern embossed with a maple leaf carved from wood. There is a row of Canadian flags behind him, and he's looking at the camera with a serious expression.
News

How Mark Carney plans to wage trade war against the United States

By Laura Osman and Murad Hemmadi

Briefing

Roots to go private in deal led by Marquee Brands

By Catherine McIntyre   |   Aug 21, 2026

Negotiations once again down to the wire as tariff countdown ticks toward midnight

By Laura Osman   |   Aug 21, 2026

Domtar shutters B.C. pulp mill over reduced demand and poor prices

By Laura Osman   |   Aug 21, 2026

Best business newsletter in Canada

Get up to speed in minutes with insights and analysis on the most important stories of the day, every weekday.

Exclusive events

See the bigger picture with reporters and industry experts in subscriber-exclusive events.

Membership in The Logic Council

Membership provides access to our popular Slack channel, participation in subscriber surveys and invitations to exclusive events with our journalists and special guests.

Recent Popular Stories

Commentary

Carmichael: Canada’s biggest companies aren’t wired for growth. That’s a problem for us all

By Kevin Carmichael   |   Aug 15, 2026
An image of the Canadian flag against two tall buildings with glass windows in the background.
Exclusive

Star researcher Sanja Fidler raises over US$90M for world model startup

By Murad Hemmadi   |   Aug 19, 2026
A woman wearing a ponytail and a black leather jacket stands on a stage. She looks slightly away from the camera. She wears a microphone and appears to be speaking to an audience.
News

Canada ‘can’t even talk about anything else’ if Trump makes good on latest tariff threat

By Joanna Smith   |   Aug 14, 2026
Janice Charette and Dominic LeBlanc walking toward the camera next to a white pavilion that bears the logo of the 2026 G7 meeting in France.
News

Anthropic wants to add ‘gigawatts’ of AI compute in Canada

By Murad Hemmadi   |   Aug 19, 2026
An image of a man with glasses, wearing a dark blue suit and light blue collared shirt. The man looks slightly away from the camera and a microphone is visible in the foreground. A blue background that reads World Economic Forum is visible in the background.
News

Negotiators work on fine print of deal that would spare Canada new U.S. tariffs

By Joanna Smith   |   Aug 19, 2026
A shot taken through a crowd of reporters and boom mics showing Mark Carney seated beside Donald Trump in yellow chairs in the Oval Office. Seated before them on sofas are senior members of the leaders' respecting cabinets.
News

U.S. private equity is buying Canada’s biggest payments processor. Some people are worried about sovereignty

By Claire Brownell   |   Aug 12, 2026
In this photo illustration the Moneris logo is seen displayed on a smartphone.

Canada's most influential executives and policymakers are reading The Logic

  • CPP Investments
  • Sun Life Financial
  • C100
  • Amazon
  • Telus
  • Mastercard
  • bdc
  • Shopify
  • Rogers
  • RBC
  • General Motors
  • MaRS
  • Government of Canada
  • Uber
  • Loblaw Companies Limited
logic-logo

Canada's Business and Tech Newsroom

100% human-crafted journalism

Newsroom

  • News Tips
  • AI Policy
  • Editorial Disclosures
  • Story Pitches

Company

  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Statement
  • Corporate Information

Contact

  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • FAQs
  • Work at The Logic

© 2026 The Logic Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Trusted by leaders

Error

Account creation failed.

Please email us at [email protected].

Create Account

[wppb-register form_name=”cozmo-registration-form-for-modal”]

I do have an account
Login
or

[wppb-login]

I don’t have an account