Skip to content

Canada's Business and Tech Newsroom

  • Professional Subscription
  • Partnerships & Advertising
  • Licensing & Syndication
Log In Subscribe
Welcome,
  • My Account
  • Log Out
  • Business
  • Tech
  • National
  • The Big Read
  • Briefings
  • Commentary
Search
Log In Subscribe
Welcome,
  • My Account
  • Log Out
News

Feds knew EV fund was running out weeks before Tesla took its last big bite

Federal officials considered telling car dealers as early as last September that Canada’s EV purchase incentive was winding down, an internal memo to the transport minister shows, raising questions as to why they instead waited until the program was nearly out of funds.

News

Feds knew EV fund was running out weeks before Tesla took its last big bite

Memo to the transport minister raises questions about why federal officials waited so long to announce the program was ending

By Anita Balakrishnan
An aerial shot of a lot full of Tesla cars. The company's logo is painted in yellow on the asphalt.
Tesla drew down Canada's EV purchase fund by $43 million over the course of a few days in January. Photo: Getty Images/Katherine KY Cheng
Sep 9, 2025
A A
A Small A Medium A Large
Share

Gift

Share

Federal officials considered telling car dealers as early as last September that Canada’s EV purchase incentive was winding down, an internal memo to the transport minister shows, raising questions as to why they instead waited until the program was nearly out of funds.

The Dec. 18, 2024 memo, which The Logic obtained through an access-to-information request, shows officials knew the program could run out of money as soon as early January. Yet they waited until Jan. 10 to warn dealerships, creating a two-day scramble for dealers to request reimbursement for vehicles they’d already sold or leased at discounted prices.

The delay resulted in a chaotic and inequitable end to the incentive, critics say. Immediately after the program’s end was announced on Jan. 10, a surge of applications—most from Tesla—drained the program before many other car dealerships could be reimbursed. Tesla alone depleted the fund by $43 million over a few days.

Huw Williams, director of public affairs for the Canadian Auto Dealers Association, said that if the decision had been made the previous September that many of the last-minute challenges could have been avoided. “I think even the officials would have to admit today that they waited too long,” he said.

Talking Points

  • A Transport Canada memo dated Dec. 18 warned that a surge of requests could deplete its consumer EV incentive program, weeks before the program was ultimately drained 
  • With a new version of the incentive expected soon, the memo reveals a key issue when it comes to how the program treats car dealers, an industry association says

The memo to then-minister Anita Anand also shows Transport Canada knew it was likely that manufacturers and dealerships would “create a surge of requests” when the program’s end was announced. The government did not comment to media, including The Logic, when asked in December whether the incentives would be renewed by the end of March. 

“As part of the wind-down of the program, Transport Canada prioritized communication with manufacturers and participating dealerships” to “reduce market disruption,” department spokesperson Flavio Nienow told The Logic last week in a statement.  

“These stakeholders, responsible for applying the incentives, required clarity to manage inventory and customer expectations. A broader public announcement was made at the time of the iZEV program pause.”

Related Articles

A high-angle wide shot of Mark Carney at a lectern, with Mélanie Joly standing to his left and a crowd of people behind him. They are in a cavernous, hangar-like building and there is a large segment of airplane fuselage in the distant background.

Carney puts EV mandate on ice, announces $5B for industries hit by tariffs

By Murad Hemmadi and David Reevely

Made-in-Canada EV batteries could be repurposed for defence, Joly says

By Anita Balakrishnan and Murad Hemmadi

It turned out there wasn’t nearly enough money to last until the end of March. Transport Canada announced in a news release on Jan. 10 that the program would pause on schedule on March 31 “subject to funding availability.” The money was gone by Jan. 12, in large part due to Tesla’s rush to collect backlogged incentives for its vehicle sales.

“The message was that there would be an orderly wind down,” said Williams, adding that Tesla either panicked or somehow “knew that the situation was more urgent.” Tesla, which runs its own stores and is not part of the dealers’ association, did not respond to a media request.

Despite the program’s messy halt, there is pressure on the government to kickstart EV sales by renewing the incentive, which was known as iZEV, with many prospective buyers waiting for news about the program’s future. Battery-EV registrations plunged more than 39 per cent in the second quarter of this year.

Last week, Industry Minister Mélanie Joly told The Logic that the government remains committed to bringing back the subsidies and acknowledges that the gap in the subsidy program is partly to blame for lower EV sales. 

As regulators go back to the drawing board, though, Williams warned there is a structural issue with the program. His group originally pushed for a system in which consumers claim the incentives as rebates after purchasing their EVs. Instead, “at the behest of the government of Canada,” dealers agreed to one wherein they discounted the cars on the lots, and then applied to be reimbursed. 

“The government really felt strongly that the burden of advancing the financing should be on the dealer’s shoulders,” said Williams. “This was the nightmare scenario of dealers: being left hanging for billions of dollars. But the original design of the program, and not listening to our advice on that, really put us in the box that we’re in.” 

The government seemed alive to the hazard. The memo notes that “ensuring an orderly wind-down of this high-profile program is essential, particularly as it is delivered to consumers in partnership with dealerships.” 

Ultimately, a months-long investigation verified all of the claims filed between Jan. 10 and Jan. 12 and Ottawa agreed to pay out funds to the dealerships, including Tesla. The interim, though, was “a period of great concern” for dealerships, some of whom were at “substantial financial risk,” Williams said, since the dealerships were buying EVs at regular cost from manufacturers and selling them at discounts, on the promise the government would pay the difference.

The question now is how the government will ensure future programs don’t end in similar confusion. The memo had warned regulators that “​​manufacturers and dealerships have consistently asked Transport Canada to provide advance notice of the program’s pause,” adding that a three-month heads-up would likely draw complaints.  

Williams points to converging events around the time of the government’s announcement that made things more difficult. Smaller dealerships had less staff during the holidays, and on Dec. 17, 2024, Quebec announced it would pause its provincial EV incentives in Feb. 2025, prompting a wave of Quebec EV shoppers to buy vehicles all at once. During an already busy period, many dealerships did not anticipate they would have to catch up on all their recent paper work in a single weekend. 

Gift the full article

Despite what he calls the “fiasco,” Williams was pleased that both Transport Minister Chrystia Freeland and her predecessor, Anita Anand, personally stepped in to help with iZEV’s strained wind-down. 

Laura Scaffidi, a spokesperson for Freeland’s office, told The Logic, “We are looking at ways to reintroduce a purchase incentive that supports Canadian workers, strengthens our domestic supply chains and reflects the times we are in.” 

With files from David Reevely in Ottawa

#Anita Anand #Chrystia Freeland #climate #dealerships #economy #electric vehicles #EV rebates #iZEV #Melanie Joly #Tesla

Sponsored Content

The real-world economic offshoots of sovereign AI

By Deborah Aarts
Illustration of a plane flying above a mailbox

Increasing healthcare access across Canada

By Deborah Aarts

What it takes to lead a frontier firm

By Deborah Aarts
Paid promotional content

Loading...

Thanks for sharing!

You have shared 5 articles this month and reached the maximum amount of shares available.

Close
This account has reached its share limit.

If you would like to purchase a sharing license please contact The Logic support at [email protected].

Close
Want to share this article?

Upgrade to all-access now

Close
Gift the full article!

You have gifted 0 article(s) this month and have 5 remaining.

Copy link and gift
Copy Link
Email to a friend
Send Email
Gift on Social Media

Recipients will be able to read the full text of the article after submitting their email address. They will not have access to other articles or subscriber benefits.

An aerial shot of a lot full of Tesla cars. The company's logo is painted in yellow on the asphalt.

Photo: Getty Images/Katherine KY Cheng

Most Popular This Week

An image of a man in a dark suit and purple tie standing and speaking at a microphone. The man has a serious facial expression. A blue banner that reads "Milken Institute" is in the background.
News

Investor demand is what’s bringing the Milken Institute to Canada

By Chaimae Chouiekh
Janice Charette and Dominic LeBlanc walking toward the camera next to a white pavilion that bears the logo of the 2026 G7 meeting in France.
News

Canada ‘can’t even talk about anything else’ if Trump makes good on latest tariff threat

By Joanna Smith
A man walks across a large greenhouse with large glass ceilings. He is walking on a white path through rows of green lettuce growing on the ground.
News

Canadian businesses were bracing for a wave of retirees. Then along came AI

By Anita Balakrishnan
An image of a man wearing a dark suit jacket and tie. He is wearing a mic and looking slightly away from the camera.
News

Brookfield and Cohere execs among high-profile guests at CVCA summit

By Catherine McIntyre

In-depth, agenda-setting reporting

Great journalism delivered straight to your inbox.

A shot of a construction worker seen through the door opening of a newly framed wall. The wall is being constructed in a factory setting.
News

‘Lego’ homes or housing solution? Canadians are split on modular housing

By Laura Osman

Briefing

BDC profit more than doubles as venture portfolio rebounds

By Catherine McIntyre   |   Aug 20, 2026 | 3:41 PM ET

Premiers weigh details of trade deal as LeBlanc returns to Washington

By Anita Balakrishnan   |   Aug 20, 2026 | 3:37 PM ET

AI may be making it harder for some Canadians to find jobs, Bank of Canada analysis finds

By Catherine McIntyre   |   Aug 20, 2026 | 3:09 PM ET

Best business newsletter in Canada

Get up to speed in minutes with insights and analysis on the most important stories of the day, every weekday.

Exclusive events

See the bigger picture with reporters and industry experts in subscriber-exclusive events.

Membership in The Logic Council

Membership provides access to our popular Slack channel, participation in subscriber surveys and invitations to exclusive events with our journalists and special guests.

Recent Popular Stories

Commentary

Carmichael: Canada’s biggest companies aren’t wired for growth. That’s a problem for us all

By Kevin Carmichael   |   Aug 15, 2026
An image of the Canadian flag against two tall buildings with glass windows in the background.
Exclusive

Star researcher Sanja Fidler raises over US$90M for world model startup

By Murad Hemmadi   |   Aug 19, 2026
A woman wearing a ponytail and a black leather jacket stands on a stage. She looks slightly away from the camera. She wears a microphone and appears to be speaking to an audience.
News

Canada ‘can’t even talk about anything else’ if Trump makes good on latest tariff threat

By Joanna Smith   |   Aug 14, 2026
Janice Charette and Dominic LeBlanc walking toward the camera next to a white pavilion that bears the logo of the 2026 G7 meeting in France.
News

Anthropic wants to add ‘gigawatts’ of AI compute in Canada

By Murad Hemmadi   |   Aug 19, 2026
An image of a man with glasses, wearing a dark blue suit and light blue collared shirt. The man looks slightly away from the camera and a microphone is visible in the foreground. A blue background that reads World Economic Forum is visible in the background.
News

Negotiators work on fine print of deal that would spare Canada new U.S. tariffs

By Joanna Smith   |   Aug 19, 2026
A shot taken through a crowd of reporters and boom mics showing Mark Carney seated beside Donald Trump in yellow chairs in the Oval Office. Seated before them on sofas are senior members of the leaders' respecting cabinets.
News

U.S. private equity is buying Canada’s biggest payments processor. Some people are worried about sovereignty

By Claire Brownell   |   Aug 12, 2026
In this photo illustration the Moneris logo is seen displayed on a smartphone.

Canada's most influential executives and policymakers are reading The Logic

  • CPP Investments
  • Sun Life Financial
  • C100
  • Amazon
  • Telus
  • Mastercard
  • bdc
  • Shopify
  • Rogers
  • RBC
  • General Motors
  • MaRS
  • Government of Canada
  • Uber
  • Loblaw Companies Limited
logic-logo

Canada's Business and Tech Newsroom

100% human-crafted journalism

Newsroom

  • News Tips
  • AI Policy
  • Editorial Disclosures
  • Story Pitches

Company

  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Statement
  • Corporate Information

Contact

  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • FAQs
  • Work at The Logic

© 2026 The Logic Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Trusted by leaders

Error

Account creation failed.

Please email us at [email protected].

Create Account

[wppb-register form_name=”cozmo-registration-form-for-modal”]

I do have an account
Login
or

[wppb-login]

I don’t have an account