The Logic is hiring a reporter to cover Canada’s fintech sector.
The Logic is an independent Canadian news publication covering business and technology. Founded in 2018, we confront the critical questions shaping Canada’s economic future through exclusive reporting and in-depth analysis. Our headquarters are in Toronto, with bureaus in Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa and Montreal. We serve a growing community of subscribers, and our journalism is also syndicated in the Financial Post and other Postmedia publications and appears on the Bloomberg Terminal.
This reporter will cover Canada’s emerging financial technology sector, including challenger banks and payments companies, the transformation of the country’s major financial institutions and the advent of open banking. The beat encompasses some of Canada’s most prominent public and private tech players, including Wealthsimple, Lightspeed, Clearco, Nuvei, Neo Financial and Portage Ventures. The fintech reporter will also work closely with The Logic’s crypto and digital currencies reporter.
The successful candidate will be an enterprising self-starter, adept at developing sources to help them break news. They will be comfortable finding stories in public filings, data sets and access-to-information returns. They will have an interest both in high-stakes boardroom decision-making and in the impact those decisions make on people’s everyday lives. They will take as much pride in contributing to our daily newsletter as they do in writing news stories and features. And they will be committed to building a collegial, collaborative newsroom that treats all its members with respect.
This is a full-time staff job that includes a salary comparable to those offered by other leading Canadian newsrooms, as well as participation in a bonus program, equity options, paid vacation and a comprehensive benefits plan including parental-leave top-up, dental, HSA and more.
The Logic is a remote-first organization. Because much of Canada’s fintech sector is concentrated in Toronto and Montreal, this position is ideally based in one of those cities. However, candidates are welcome to make a case for being based elsewhere in Canada.
Not sure you’re qualified? Please apply anyway. We’re hiring people, not resumes, and we are committed to building an inclusive environment.
Applications are due by the end of the day on Friday, September 30th.
If you have questions, please contact [email protected].
What you’ll do:
- Generate unique story ideas and break exclusive business and technology news
- Write in-depth analysis and longform features on key companies, issues and players on your beat
- Cultivate sources and maintain contacts, find news in public documents and disclosures and file access-to-information requests
- Contribute writing and reporting for editorial products like The Logic Briefing newsletter
Who you are:
- You have a passion for great journalism and a track record of producing it
- You’re organized, focused and able to work both independently and collaboratively
- You file clean copy on deadline
- You have an adaptive and entrepreneurial mindset
- You’re a team player who wants to grow with the organization and who will enjoy working at a startup
To apply, please submit the following:
- Your resume
- A one-page cover letter telling us how your reporting would augment The Logic’s coverage and how you’d deliver exclusive stories. Please include up to five examples of your published breaking news stories, investigations, long or short features or other lively writing, with links