Skip to content

Canada's Business and Tech Newsroom

  • Professional Subscription
  • Partnerships & Advertising
  • Licensing & Syndication
Log In Subscribe
Welcome,
  • My Account
  • Log Out
  • Business
  • Tech
  • National
  • The Big Read
  • Briefings
  • Commentary
Search
Log In Subscribe
Welcome,
  • My Account
  • Log Out
News

Canada pulls out of trade talks at last moment, citing ‘unfair’ changes by U.S.

Listen Now
0:00
News

Canada pulls out of trade talks at last moment, citing ‘unfair’ changes by U.S.

Fifty per cent tariffs on US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods went into effect at midnight

By Laura Osman
A shot from the bottom of a flight of red brick stairs of Dominic LeBlanc emerging from a building, with Janice Charette and Mark Wiseman in single file behind him.
Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, far right, with chief Canadian negotiator Janice Charette and Canada’s ambassador to the U.S., Mark Wiseman, emerge from a meeting Friday in Washington, D.C., with U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. Photo: AFP via Getty Images/Amid Farahi
Aug 22, 2026 | 12:41 AM ET
A A
A Small A Medium A Large
Share

Gift

Share

Listen Now
0:00

Trade talks between Canadian and U.S. negotiators collapsed Friday night after a series of marathon meetings, allowing the 50 per cent tariffs U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened on a wide range of Canadian goods to take effect. 

“I have decided to suspend trade negotiations with the U.S. and have directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa,” Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement, delivered just 20 minutes before the midnight deadline. 

Talking Points

  • Trade talks between Canada and the U.S. fell apart Friday night, and U.S. President Donald Trump made good on his plan to impose 50 per cent tariffs on roughly US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods
  • The two sides blamed each other for the collapse of the proposed deal they had been fine-tuning for the last several days
  • Prime Minister Mark Carney promised to match Trump’s new tariffs dollar for dollar, and said the government will offer support to industries that are affected

The prime minister charged that U.S. negotiators had proposed last-minute changes to the terms of a tentative deal the two sides had been working on. The amendments, he added, were “unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal.”

Carney didn’t specify what changes the Americans proposed, but said he’s recalled Canada’s negotiators to Ottawa. 

U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer, meanwhile, blamed Canada for the failure of the talks. “New demands and walkbacks of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,” he said in a statement late Friday night. 

Related Articles

A shot taken through a crowd of reporters and boom mics showing Mark Carney seated beside Donald Trump in yellow chairs in the Oval Office. Seated before them on sofas are senior members of the leaders' respecting cabinets.

Negotiators work on fine print of deal that would spare Canada new U.S. tariffs

By Joanna Smith
Carney and Trump at a photo op in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, against a white backdrop that features a peace-themed logo for the gathering. Carney is leaning toward a scowling Trump and pointing his index finger at the U.S. president.

The U.S. has chosen not to extend CUSMA. Here’s what happens next

By Joanna Smith

The collapse of the negotiation means the U.S. will go ahead with 50 per cent tariffs on roughly US$20 billion worth of Canadian goods as of 12:01 a.m. EDT Saturday. 

Carney said in his statement that Canada would retaliate dollar for dollar against the new tariffs. He also said the federal government will extend support for workers and businesses hit by the levies. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who had remained uncharacteristically silent in public during the later stages of the trade negotiation, said he supports the plan to fight back. “The prime minister has my full support for a strong response,” he said in a statement. 

Others—especially business leaders—fear the development signals a major escalation in the trade war.

“This will be a body blow to North American competitiveness in this self-defeating trade saga. A whopping, non-absorbable tariff is not sustainable or viable for business,” Candace Laing, president of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, said in a statement late Friday night. Laing is also a member of the prime minister’s advisory committee on Canada-U.S. economic relations. 

The abrupt turn follows a week of negotiations in Washington, D.C., including an all-day meeting Friday between Greer and Canada’s chief trade negotiator, Janice Charette, that extended late into the night. 

The talks had initially gone well enough to convince U.S. President Donald Trump to give Canada a three-day reprieve from the new tariffs he originally planned to impose Wednesday. He announced the decision just two hours shy of the midnight deadline for the tariffs to come into effect, saying on social media the two sides had reached a “deal.”

Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc and Charette then spent most of the ensuing three days in Washington, hashing out details of the tentative agreement the president had announced. 

Trump said Canada had agreed to “remove the discriminations or unreasonable and unequal impositions” regarding dairy, motor vehicles and provincial bans on U.S. alcohol. Canadian officials have yet to confirm what concessions Ottawa had offered, or what reprieve the White House had considered for sectors targeted by Section 232 tariffs on steel, aluminum, autos and forestry products. 

Earlier, Carney had said Canada was seeking a comprehensive deal that would reduce Section 232 tariffs, and kick-start formal talks with Canada on the renewal of CUSMA, also known as the USMCA.

On autos in particular, Canada was pushing for a reduction in the Section 232 tariffs below the 15 per cent given to South Korea and Japan, with an exemption for any content produced in Canada, the U.S. or Mexico.

LeBlanc had emphatically maintained that any deal would leave Canada’s supply-managed dairy sector intact. 

Trump also said the agreement would have revived the Keystone XL pipeline expansion project, which was kiboshed by his Democratic predecessors. 

Earlier on Friday, the president told reporters the talks were moving along, and that he had to take care of America’s farmers. “I only make good deals,” he said. 

As the new deadline drew near, however, it became clear the assessment of the tentative agreement among Canada’s provincial premiers would be a key factor in its success or failure. Several confirmed the prime minister asked them to put American alcohol back on the shelves of their provincial liquor stores as part of a potential deal, and to halt procurement rules that bar American suppliers from government contracts.

Gift the full article

On those decisions, the premiers were not unanimous. Some, like Nova Scotia’s Tim Houston, signalled solidarity with the federal government, while others reserved judgment. Ford’s silence raised questions as to his willingness to relent on the liquor ban.

Ontario held a lot of sway in the negotiations. It’s home to the bulk of Canada’s auto sector, which has been rear-ended by Trump’s tariffs for more than a year. It’s also home to the LCBO, a provincially owned agency and one of the largest purchasers of alcohol in the world.

#autos #Canada-U.S. trade #CUSMA #dairy #economy #liquor #markets #National #steel

Sponsored Content

The real-world economic offshoots of sovereign AI

By Deborah Aarts
Illustration of a plane flying above a mailbox

Increasing healthcare access across Canada

By Deborah Aarts

What it takes to lead a frontier firm

By Deborah Aarts
Paid promotional content

Loading...

Thanks for sharing!

You have shared 5 articles this month and reached the maximum amount of shares available.

Close
This account has reached its share limit.

If you would like to purchase a sharing license please contact The Logic support at [email protected].

Close
Want to share this article?

Upgrade to all-access now

Close
Gift the full article!

You have gifted 0 article(s) this month and have 5 remaining.

Copy link and gift
Copy Link
Email to a friend
Send Email
Gift on Social Media

Recipients will be able to read the full text of the article after submitting their email address. They will not have access to other articles or subscriber benefits.

A shot from the bottom of a flight of red brick stairs of Dominic LeBlanc emerging from a building, with Janice Charette and Mark Wiseman in single file behind him.

Photo: AFP via Getty Images/Amid Farahi

Most Popular This Week

An image of a man in a dark suit and purple tie standing and speaking at a microphone. The man has a serious facial expression. A blue banner that reads "Milken Institute" is in the background.
News

Investor demand is what’s bringing the Milken Institute to Canada

By Chaimae Chouiekh
Janice Charette and Dominic LeBlanc walking toward the camera next to a white pavilion that bears the logo of the 2026 G7 meeting in France.
News

Canada ‘can’t even talk about anything else’ if Trump makes good on latest tariff threat

By Joanna Smith
A man walks across a large greenhouse with large glass ceilings. He is walking on a white path through rows of green lettuce growing on the ground.
News

Canadian businesses were bracing for a wave of retirees. Then along came AI

By Anita Balakrishnan
An image of a man wearing a dark suit jacket and tie. He is wearing a mic and looking slightly away from the camera.
News

Brookfield and Cohere execs among high-profile guests at CVCA summit

By Catherine McIntyre

In-depth, agenda-setting reporting

Great journalism delivered straight to your inbox.

A shot from the bottom of a flight of red brick stairs of Dominic LeBlanc emerging from a building, with Janice Charette and Mark Wiseman in single file behind him.
News

Canada pulls out of trade talks at last moment, citing ‘unfair’ changes by U.S.

By Laura Osman

Briefing

Roots to go private in deal led by Marquee Brands

By Catherine McIntyre   |   Aug 21, 2026 | 3:31 PM ET

Negotiations once again down to the wire as tariff countdown ticks toward midnight

By Laura Osman   |   Aug 21, 2026 | 3:27 PM ET

Domtar shutters B.C. pulp mill over reduced demand and poor prices

By Laura Osman   |   Aug 21, 2026 | 2:57 PM ET

Best business newsletter in Canada

Get up to speed in minutes with insights and analysis on the most important stories of the day, every weekday.

Exclusive events

See the bigger picture with reporters and industry experts in subscriber-exclusive events.

Membership in The Logic Council

Membership provides access to our popular Slack channel, participation in subscriber surveys and invitations to exclusive events with our journalists and special guests.

Recent Popular Stories

Commentary

Carmichael: Canada’s biggest companies aren’t wired for growth. That’s a problem for us all

By Kevin Carmichael   |   Aug 15, 2026
An image of the Canadian flag against two tall buildings with glass windows in the background.
Exclusive

Star researcher Sanja Fidler raises over US$90M for world model startup

By Murad Hemmadi   |   Aug 19, 2026
A woman wearing a ponytail and a black leather jacket stands on a stage. She looks slightly away from the camera. She wears a microphone and appears to be speaking to an audience.
News

Canada ‘can’t even talk about anything else’ if Trump makes good on latest tariff threat

By Joanna Smith   |   Aug 14, 2026
Janice Charette and Dominic LeBlanc walking toward the camera next to a white pavilion that bears the logo of the 2026 G7 meeting in France.
News

Anthropic wants to add ‘gigawatts’ of AI compute in Canada

By Murad Hemmadi   |   Aug 19, 2026
An image of a man with glasses, wearing a dark blue suit and light blue collared shirt. The man looks slightly away from the camera and a microphone is visible in the foreground. A blue background that reads World Economic Forum is visible in the background.
News

Negotiators work on fine print of deal that would spare Canada new U.S. tariffs

By Joanna Smith   |   Aug 19, 2026
A shot taken through a crowd of reporters and boom mics showing Mark Carney seated beside Donald Trump in yellow chairs in the Oval Office. Seated before them on sofas are senior members of the leaders' respecting cabinets.
News

U.S. private equity is buying Canada’s biggest payments processor. Some people are worried about sovereignty

By Claire Brownell   |   Aug 12, 2026
In this photo illustration the Moneris logo is seen displayed on a smartphone.

Canada's most influential executives and policymakers are reading The Logic

  • CPP Investments
  • Sun Life Financial
  • C100
  • Amazon
  • Telus
  • Mastercard
  • bdc
  • Shopify
  • Rogers
  • RBC
  • General Motors
  • MaRS
  • Government of Canada
  • Uber
  • Loblaw Companies Limited
logic-logo

Canada's Business and Tech Newsroom

100% human-crafted journalism

Newsroom

  • News Tips
  • AI Policy
  • Editorial Disclosures
  • Story Pitches

Company

  • About Us
  • Terms of Service
  • Privacy Statement
  • Corporate Information

Contact

  • Contact Us
  • Advertise
  • FAQs
  • Work at The Logic

© 2026 The Logic Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Trusted by leaders

Error

Account creation failed.

Please email us at [email protected].

Create Account

[wppb-register form_name=”cozmo-registration-form-for-modal”]

I do have an account
Login
or

[wppb-login]

I don’t have an account