We’ve temporarily suspended the hiring process for our newsroom expansion while we focus on covering the COVID-19 pandemic. If you’ve already applied, we’ll hang on to your application and will be in touch when we re-open the postings. If you didn’t get a chance to apply, watch this space and our social media accounts—we’ll announce when the posting is open again. In the meantime, please take care of yourselves.
The Logic is hiring two reporters to join its growing newsroom.
We are an independent, made-in-Canada digital media startup that covers the innovation economy. We were founded in 2018 in the belief that Canadians will pay for good journalism.
Combining exclusive news, in-depth reporting, insightful analysis and smart curation, we confront the critical questions that are shaping this country’s economic future.
In less than two years of existence we’ve broken scores of exclusive stories and won major journalism awards. Our subscriber base is growing, and as it has grown our staff has more than doubled. We’ve opened bureaus in Ottawa and Montréal. We pay our journalists competitive salaries with full benefits. And we’re ready to expand again.
These are full-time staff jobs. Most of The Logic’s team is based in Toronto, but for the right candidate we’re willing to consider a role based elsewhere in Canada, particularly in Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton.
Successful candidates will be excited about covering Canada’s economic transformation. Topics include—but are not limited to—the country’s emerging tech sector; the disruption of legacy industries; Canada’s institutional and venture investors; the collision of new technology with policy and regulation; and the impact of this transformation on how Canadians work and live.
The ideal candidate will be a seasoned business journalist with a network of contacts that will let them quickly start breaking exclusive stories. They will take as much pleasure in coming up with the perfect subject line for our daily newsletter as they do in writing news and features. They will embrace the fact that at a startup, no task is above anybody or beneath anybody. And they will be committed to building a collegial, collaborative, goal-oriented newsroom that treats all its members with respect.
Applications are due by the end of the day on Sunday, March 15.
Not sure if you’re qualified? Please apply anyway. We’re hiring people, not resumes, and we are committed to building an inclusive environment.
If you have questions please contact [email protected].
We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
What you’ll do:
- Generate unique story ideas and break exclusive news about Canada’s innovation economy
- Cultivate sources and maintain contacts, file access-to-information requests and find news in public documents and disclosures
- Contribute writing and reporting for projects like The Logic’s Daily Briefing newsletter
Who you are:
- You have a passion for great journalism and a track record of producing it
- You’re organized, focused and able to work both independently and collaboratively
- You file clean copy on deadline
- You have an adaptive and entrepreneurial mindset
- You’re a team player who wants to grow with the organization and who will enjoy mucking in at a startup
To apply, please submit the following:
- Your resume
- A cover letter telling us how your reporting would augment The Logic’s coverage and how you’d deliver exclusive stories. Please include up to five examples of investigations or in-depth features you’ve published, with links