The Logic is hiring an Alberta correspondent to join our growing newsroom and expand our coverage of the innovation economy.
We are an independent, made-in-Canada digital-media company founded in 2018 in the belief Canadians will pay for great journalism. Through exclusive reporting, in-depth analysis and smart curation, we confront the critical questions shaping this country’s economic future.
The Logic is headquartered in Toronto, with bureaus in Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax. This position is ideally based in or within commuting distance of Calgary or Edmonton.
The Alberta correspondent’s areas of coverage will include the carbon economy and the resource sector’s transition to green technology; the province’s emerging tech sector and the ecosystem that supports it; the push to attract innovative businesses to the province; and AIMCo’s investments and future.
The successful candidate will have contacts who will help them break news—or the skills to quickly develop those connections—and will have an eye for stories in public filings, data sets and access-to-information returns. They will take as much pride in contributing to our daily newsletter as they do in writing news stories and features. And they will be committed to building a collegial, collaborative, goal-oriented newsroom that treats all its members with respect.
This is a full-time staff job with a competitive salary and full benefits. Not sure you’re qualified? Please apply anyway. We’re hiring people, not resumes, and we are committed to building an inclusive environment.
Applications are due by the end of the day on August 8th.
If you have questions, please contact [email protected].
What you’ll do:
- Generate unique story ideas and break exclusive news about Canada’s innovation economy
- Cultivate sources and maintain contacts, file access-to-information requests and find news in public documents and disclosures
- Contribute writing and reporting for projects like The Logic’s Daily Briefing newsletter
Who you are:
- You have a passion for great journalism and a track record of producing it
- You’re organized, focused and able to work both independently and collaboratively
- You file clean copy on deadline
- You have an adaptive and entrepreneurial mindset
- You’re a team player who wants to grow with the organization and who will enjoy mucking in at a startup
To apply, please submit the following:
- Your resume
- A cover letter telling us how your reporting would augment The Logic’s coverage and how you’d deliver exclusive stories. Please include up to five examples of your published breaking news stories, investigations, long or short features or other lively writing, with links