The Logic is hiring a reporter to join our growing newsroom and expand our coverage of the innovation economy.
We are an independent, made-in-Canada digital media startup founded in 2018 in the belief that Canadians will pay for great journalism.
Combining exclusive news, in-depth reporting, insightful analysis and smart curation, we confront the critical questions that are shaping this country’s economic future.
Our coverage of Canada’s economic transformation includes topics like the country’s emerging tech sector; the disruption of legacy industries; Canada’s institutional and venture investors; the collision of new technology with policy and regulation; and the impact of this transformation on how Canadians work and live.
In more than two years of existence we’ve broken scores of exclusive stories and won major journalism awards. Our subscriber base is growing, and as it has grown our staff has more than doubled—and we’re ready to expand again.
Most of The Logic’s team is based in Toronto, with bureaus in Vancouver, Ottawa, Halifax and Montréal. This position is ideally based in Toronto.
Reporting to the managing editor, the successful candidate will deliver compelling business and financial journalism.
They’ll have contacts that help them break exclusive stories or the skills to quickly develop those connections, and will have an eye for stories in public filings, data sets and access-to-information returns. They will take as much pleasure in coming up with the perfect subject line for our daily newsletter as they do in writing news and features. And they will be committed to building a collegial, collaborative, goal-oriented newsroom that treats all its members with respect.
Not sure if you’re qualified? Please apply anyway. We’re hiring people, not resumes, and we are committed to building an inclusive environment.
This is a full-time staff job with a competitive salary and full benefits.
Applications are due by the end of the day on Sunday, January 10th.
If you have questions please contact [email protected].
We’re looking forward to hearing from you.
What you’ll do:
- Generate unique story ideas and break exclusive news about Canada’s innovation economy
- Cultivate sources and maintain contacts, file access-to-information requests and find news in public documents and disclosures
- Contribute writing and reporting for projects like The Logic’s Daily Briefing newsletter
Who you are:
- You have a passion for great journalism and a track record of producing it
- You’re organized, focused and able to work both independently and collaboratively
- You file clean copy on deadline
- You have an adaptive and entrepreneurial mindset
- You’re a team player who wants to grow with the organization and who will enjoy mucking in at a startup
To apply, please submit the following:
- Your resume
- A cover letter telling us how your reporting would augment The Logic’s coverage and how you’d deliver exclusive stories. Please include up to five examples of investigations or in-depth features you’ve published, with links